Everybody needs nutrients. In fact, the compounds that are found in foods are essential for a healthy life. They provide you with energy, regulate chemical processes in your body, and help with repair and growth. The six main types of nutrients are proteins, vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, healthy fats, and water. Let’s explore how you can get enough nutrients from your diet.
Get These Sources Of Nutrients Into Your Diet
Now that you know what the nutrient types are and why you need them, you are sure to want to ensure you get enough nutrients from your diet. Your everyday diet should contain all the types of nutrients. Here are some of the best sources of foods for the different types of nutrients your body needs:
- Protein foods include meat, seafood, dairy products, legumes, and nuts.
- Carbohydrate foods include rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, cereals, fruit, and milk.
- Healthy fat foods include nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, margarine, meat, and seafood.
- Different vitamins can be found in different foods. Fruit and vegetables are good sources of vitamins A and C. Grains and cereals generally contain B group vitamins. Full-fat dairy products contain vitamins A, D, and E. Soya bean or vegetable oil and milk are good sources of vitamin K.
- Minerals can be found in all foods. Milk is a good source of magnesium and calcium. Vegetables and seafood are good for iodine. Red meat is a good source of zinc and iron.
- Water can be found in many foods, like fruits and vegetables, but make sure you drink plenty of water too.
If you want to make sure your body is regularly getting all of the nutrients it needs, consider using a meal delivery service. You can get meals delivered that do not require any cooking or you can opt for a service that provides fresh and sustainable foods packed with nutrients accompanied by some great recipes to try out.
Other Tips For Getting Enough Nutrients From Your Diet
In addition to eating the above foods and drinking plenty of water each day, you can make sure you are getting enough nutrients by giving up processed foods and sticking to whole foods, replacing white rice with brown rice, and swapping dry cereal for oatmeal. Make sure you eat breakfast too. It is true what they say: it is the most important meal of the day. When you pack your body with essential nutrients in the morning, you fuel your body for the coming day.
Pair Foods To Boost Your Nutrition
By pairing certain foods, you can ensure your meals are even more packed with nutrients. Try the following combinations:
- Eating salmon and kale together helps your body to better absorb calcium and vitamin D, both of which help to keep your bones healthy and strong.
- Eating eggs and mixed greens together helps your body to absorb more carotenoids, which can help reduce the risk of things like heart disease, cancer, and cognitive decline.
- Eating garlic and onion with whole grains like whole-wheat spaghetti or wild rice helps your body to better absorb iron and zinc, which benefits your immune system.
- Eating vitamin-C-packed veggies like broccoli or bell peppers with iron-rich red meat, which helps you to build muscle.
- Eating roasted vegetables with olive oil or another healthy fat source, which helps to keep your vision healthy.
Signs That You Are Not Getting Enough Nutrients
If you feel tired all of the time, have brittle nails, thinning hair, or cracked skin, it could be a sign that you are not getting enough nutrients from your diet. But even if you do not have those symptoms, it is still vital you get enough nutrition to ensure your body stays healthy.