It’s that time of year where we eat too much, drink too much and then slump on the sofa feeling more stuffed than the Christmas turkey. Our poor old guts literally don’t know what’s hit them!
Now don’t worry I’m not about to tell you to pack away the Baileys and Quality Street, jeez it is Christmas after all, but what I am going to suggest is that in among all that excess why not have a try of something a bit more gut friendly.
Kombucha is a fermented drink made from sweetened tea and a specific culture known as a SCOBY, which stands for Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeasts. It has been around for thousands of years, but has made a massive comeback in more recent times with its promise of gut healing goodness. As we’re constantly being told from health professionals and of course those yogurt drink adverts we see on TV, our guts need ‘friendly bacteria’ in order to function properly and this is where kombucha comes in.
It’s the perfect drink at this time of year when we’re all feeling a bit run down, as it helps give the immune system a bit of a boost, helps prepare our delicate tummies for the onslaught of Christmas bingeing and with it’s natural source of Vitamin C it does a pretty good job of knocking those winter colds on the head too!
No.1 Kombucha is the innovative brand by rugby legend Jonny Wilkinson, who has long been a fan of kombucha and regularly makes his own at home. Each 275ml bottle contains less than 50 calories, contains no artificial sweeteners, is dairy free, gluten free, suitable for vegans and of course contains all that fabulous bacteria.
No. 1 Kombucha is available in 3 flavours:
- Ginger & Turmeric – Really refreshing, like ginger ale but way more fizzy, so expect some serious up the nose bubbles going on. Fiery, spicy, zesty – certainly clears away the cobwebs that’s for sure. This is my absolute fave of the three flavours and I reckon perfect for a hangover!
- Raspberry, Pomegranate & Hibiscus – This has a fizzy sherbet kick that’s both sweet and sour all at the same time. Crisp, floral and sweet, it’s the jewel of kombucha.
- Passionfruit & Goji – Like a non-alcoholic Pornstar Martini – refreshing, light, spoon some fresh passionfruit into it slip in a cocktail umbrella and you’ve got the perfect Summer BBQ tipple.
Each flavour is delicious and so the hardest part will be deciding which one to go for. Personally at this time of year I want something that’s going to warm me up from the inside and the Ginger & Turmeric flavour is absolutely spot on.
So clearly this kombucha is a taste sensation in itself, but at this time of year when things need that added wow factor, a bit of pizazz and the odd decoration or two why not have a go at making these fab Kombucha Mocktail recipes!
No.1 Kombucha Non-Alcoholic Raspberry Mojito
- Ice cubes
- 1 x bottle of No.1 Kombucha Raspberry, Pomegranate & Hibiscus
- Half a lime
- Mint leaves
- Sprig of mint
How to make it
- Fill a glass with ice cubes
- Pour in Raspberry, Pomegranate & Hibiscus of No.1 Kombucha
- Squeeze over the juice of half a lime and stir
- Scrunch and muddle a few mint leaves
- Garnish with a sprig of mint
Mulled Kombucha – 2 ways!
This is perfect for the designated driver at Christmas, when they don’t want to feel as though they’re missing out on the warming spice of the mulled wine, but need to keep alcohol free. I’ve created two ever so slightly different versions with one using No.1 Kombucha Raspberry, Pomegranate & Hibiscus for a more traditional take on mulled wine and the other using No.1 Kombucha Ginger & Turmeric for something with more of a kick!
Either way they’re both delicious and will have the alcohol drinkers begging you for a sip of your drink!
Mulled No.1 Kombucha Ginger & Turmeric
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 Star Anise
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Ball of Stem Ginger
- 1 bottle of No.1 Kombucha Ginger & Turmeric
How to make it
- Pour the Ginger & Turmeric Kombucha into a small saucepan.
- Add the cinnamon stick, star anise and cloves.
- Heat gently until the kombucha starts to bubble at the side.
- Pour into a glass.
- Make a slice in the ball of stem ginger and slot onto the side of the glass.
Mulled No.1 Kombucha Raspberry, Pomegranate & Hibiscus
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 heaped tbsp Pomegranate Seeds
- 4 Fresh Raspberries
- 1 bottle of No.1 Kombucha Raspberry, Pomegranate & Hibiscus
How to make it
- Pour the Raspberry, Pomegranate & Hibiscus Kombucha into a small saucepan.
- Add the star anise, pomegranate seeds and cinnamon stick.
- Heat gently until bubbles form at the edges.
- Pour into a glass – a golden unicorn glass makes everything look pretty!
- Slot the raspberries around the glass and serve.
No.1 Kombucha is available to buy in Sainsbury’s stores nationwide at a RRP of £1.95 for a 275ml bottle.
Find more Healthy Christmas Cocktail Recipes here.
*Product gifted for review