In 2016 we will…
Have more sex!
Given half the chance, most of us would say we don’t need that much encouragement to get saucy under the sheets, but with couples citing excuses such as, stress, tiredness and lack of time it seems us Brits are now having less sex than ever.
Catherine Mercer from the British National Surveys, explains why this is the case: “With an increasing number of competing demands on our time, sex just falls down our list of priorities”, so basically we’re working more, we’re stressing more and we’re spending more time on socially debilitating technology and it’s all to the detriment of our health.
So, other than the fact that sex is fun, feels great and forms a unique, loving bond between partners, what other health benefits are there in having regular sex?
- Exercise – Exercise that’s fun and feels fab? Yep, turns out having sex can burn approximately 150 calories an hour and ramp the pace up a gear, or make sure you’re the one on top, and it’ll burn even more. What’s more, you use a fair few muscles whilst you’re going at it so think of all that toning and shaping you’re doing at the same time. Beats going to the gym, right?
- Relieves stress – You might think you’re too tired or too stressed to even think about having sex, but in actual fact it could be exactly what you need. The endorphins that are released when we orgasm are natural stress relievers, which not only has the immediate effect of calming our bodies and minds, but also has the long term effect of helping our bodies remember this stress relief for future.
- Eases headaches – No more excuses, turns out sex is a natural pain killer, so next time your partner says they don’t want sex tonight because they have a headache you’ll be able to tell them that sex is exactly what they do need. Those same orgasm endorphins that help relieve stress also help ease aches and pains, including headaches.
- Live longer – It has been scientifically proven that people who have regular sex and continue to do so even through to the later stages of their life are not only much more likely to live longer, but are less also less likely to suffer from heart problems and other diseases. If you think about it, it makes sense. Sex is a form of exercise, it relieves stress, it promotes positive relationships and allows us humans to procreate and that right there is a recipe for a happy, fulfilled life.
- Increases fertility – Basically the more sex you have, the more sex you want as your libido will increase and the same goes for fertility. It goes without saying that having more sex is going to increase the chances of a woman becoming pregnant, but regular sex also affects the quality and healthiness of sperm and it is this ore than anything that will increase the odds of conception.