Something that’s gonna stop me dipping my hand into the biscuit tin? Come on then, I’ve gotta hear more about this!
Slissie is the revolutionary anti-snacking device that is set to take the diet world by storm, claiming it can help cut sugar and bad snacks out of your diet in just 21 days.
How Will It Stop Me Snacking?
The science behind it is that by tasting and smelling certain flavours, your appetite should be suppressed enough to stop you from rooting around in the fridge. Research has proven that these senses have a powerful effect on regulating our appetite and helping to send messages to the brain that perhaps we aren’t as hungry as we first thought.
By putting this hunger doubt into our minds, it allows us to question things a bit more; to ask ourselves:
Am I hungry?
What am I hungry for?
What is my body telling me?
What does my body really need?
Although it’s not a diet (don’t worry you’re not being told to exchange all food for a couple of inhalations of flavour gas!) it should certainly assist with any weight loss plan you may be following and will allow you to break any bad snacking habits you may have formed.
There are no vapours or harmful chemicals; although it looks very much like an e-cigarette, nothing bad is emitted from it, in fact the flavours are made up of common ingredients, such as food extracts and preservatives, which are safe and have been approved for use within a product such as this.
Research has proven that certain flavours work better as appetite suppressants than others, and Slissie have come up with a system that uses delicious flavours, such as Vanilla, Milk Chocolate and Gingerbread, yet have none of the sugar content or calories.
Slissie currently offer 9 different flavours for you to choose from: Vanilla, Peppermint, Fruit, Mint Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Chocolate Orange, Gingerbread, Banana Bread and Caramel Coffee, so there should definitely be a flavour to suit all.
How Do I Use It?
It’s all very easy to use – just remove the lid from the device, choose your flavour tank, remove the caps, screw onto the base of the device, press and hold button for 3-4 seconds, release for 2 more and then suck as though drinking with a straw.
There are four different options:
- Starter Pack – includes the device, USB charger and 4 flavoured refills.
- Friends Pack – same as the Starter Pack, but also comes with a discount to pass onto a friend.
- Ultimate Pack – device, USB charger, 9 refills and the Travel Pack.
- Travel Pack – contains a case, desk stand, lanyard and disposable travel stickers, but doesn’t include the device.
There are also refill kits available, so that you can top up with your favourite flavour canisters, or try out different ones, without having to buy a whole brand new pack.
The device works by heating up the flavour canister and then releasing the taste, which of course means there has to be a power element to it. But don’t worry about the cost of replacement batteries, as every Slissie is fitted with a rechargeable battery and comes complete with a USB wire. Each flavour tank should last for approximately 7-10 days, although this will obviously depend on how often you use it, and it may take a little bit of getting used to – it is very much a sucking straw action, rather than inhalation – so be aware you may waste a tiny amount of it at the very beginning when you’re trying it out.
What Do I Think?
OK, so that’s all the info that Slissie give you, but what do I really think?
Well, snacking is a big thing for me, I can’t lie…I LOVE food. And whilst I totally get what Slissie’s about, I’m not entirely sure it’s for me.
But, I gave it a go and here are the things I like about it:
- The Design – It’s compact, modern, sleek and kind of looks like a lipstick or a chunky pen, so doesn’t look out of place in your handbag.
- The Concept – I like the fact it offers people a choice, an opportunity to break a cycle and to regain some element of control to their eating habits.
- The Flavours – My kit came with the Vanilla, Fruit and Peppermint flavours and I must admit I was pleasantly surprised at how realistic the flavours were. I think my personal fave was the fruit, because it tasted like Juicy Fruit chewing gum, although this did get me thinking that perhaps I could have just bought a pack of chewing gum instead…? The vanilla was sweet, but not too sickly and the peppermint was strong and like I’d just brushed my teeth, although I must admit it did make my lips tingle in a slightly unpleasant way for about a minute afterwards.
However, there were a couple of things I just couldn’t get to grips with:
- Fiddly Caps – I found it incredibly hard getting the small cap back on the tank when not in use. Slissie suggest you do this if you swap caps in between use, but with my normal sized adult fingers I found it virtually impossible to get it back in. I understand that it needs to be small, but maybe the set could come with some tweezers to make life a bit easier?
- Using It In Front Of People – I know it’s not an e-cigarette, but it really does look a bit like one, and as a non-smoker I just cannot get my head around carrying something around that I ‘suck’ on every time I have an urge. I get that for some people it works, but for me there’s too much of a swapping one bad habit for another mentality to it. It worries me that if I used this on a daily basis my children would see my relying on something because I can’t control my eating, and that is not the kind of lesson I want to teach them
- I LOVE Food – I love the taste, I love the smell and perhaps above anything else I adore the texture of food, and that is something that Slissie simply cannot offer. For me food is a pleasure, and yes we can all go a bit silly with it at times (believe me I am far from perfect!), but a healthy diet is one that includes snacks; the right kind of snacks, and that is something that I personally couldn’t handle getting from a flavour sensation alone.
This one’s for you to decide I’m afraid; I’m very much undecided on it. Although it’s not for me, I can certainly see a benefit to those people who struggle with emotional eating, eating out of boredom or habit and who need something like Slissie to distract them from thoughts of food, particularly if it is bad food. When I tried it out, yes it did stop me from snuffling around in the kitchen like a pig hunting for truffles, but I have to be honest it didn’t last long and I’d have had to have been sucking on that Slissie all day if it was going to stop me from getting to my snacks! In a way it made me obsess about my eating even more, when in actual fact I’m not entirely sure I have too much to worry about. I eat biscuits, I eat cake and I eat a LOT of chocolate, but hey I also eat fruit, I eat vegetables, I eat protein, carbohydrates and fats, and I exercise every day in some shape or form, which is what it’s all about right?
Everything in moderation, balance and having a little bit of what you fancy!
For more information about Slissie and further details about the full range of products, go to www.slissie.co.uk
*Product gifted for review
Do you think this product would stop you snacking?
We’d love to know what you think, so get in touch!
You can comment and follow us on:
- Facebook – @thisishealthyliving)
- Twitter – @ArtHealthLiving
- Instagram – @arthealthyliving
Or leave us a friendly comment below ?