We all want a perfect smile – with straight, white, healthy teeth. There are many things that go into making your smile a winning one, but what about CBD? Can it help to sustain the health of our mouth and teeth? Make sure that you stay tuned to find out!
What Is CBD?
Shortened term for cannabidiol, CBD is one of the main cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. It can be extracted from the stalks, leaves, and flowers of the plant (along with other plant material) and made into a variety of different products. The CBD gets diluted with a natural carrier oil first, with popular choices including hemp seed oil and coconut oil. The products include CBD oil, CBD toothpaste, CBD mouthwash, CBD lotions and more.
CBD And Oral Health
When it comes to this area of wellness, one commonly asked question is whether CBD oil is good for teeth. While there’s not a conclusive body of research yet, there are some promising studies and reviews into the matter.
CBD And Pain
There have been a vast number of studies conducted on the use of CBD oil for pain. Pain is a common experience following a dentist appointment if you have had to have a procedure. One review from 2020 examined a number of studies on the subject. The authors reported that CBD had demonstrated its ability to help individuals manage their chronic pain, and in turn, help to improve their sleep. More evidence is needed into the specifics, including a recommended dosage. However, this research shows great promise for the future of CBD for pain.
CBD And Inflammation
CBD has been established as an anti-inflammatory agent. This means that it may be able to help reduce the inflammation in sore or sensitive gums. Research from 2020 compared the effectiveness of cannabinoids (including CBD) and traditional oral care products on a plaque. Plaque can lead to many health issues, such as gum disease, pain, bleeding, and tooth decay. The authors of the study concluded that cannabinoids had demonstrated good potential as an antibacterial agent against plaque. They may also be able to help reduce the inflammation that plaque can cause in the gums. The authors also stated that cannabinoids could be considered a safer alternative to antibiotics in terms of drug resistance.
CBD And Dentist Stress
Ever felt stressed and anxious before visiting the dentist? If so, don’t worry, you’re not alone! Many of us have a fear of the dentist that can carry on into adulthood. So, what can you do about it? Well, you could give CBD a try! You could use CBD oil before you visit the dentist as this is a simple way of consuming the cannabinoid. All you need to do is select the strength of CBD that you require, then figure out your dose. Begin with a maximum of two drops and monitor how it makes you feel. You place them underneath your tongue, and they will be absorbed by your oral mucosa.
There is evidence that CBD could potentially help individuals to manage their anxiety symptoms. One study published in 2020 examined how CBD affected various disorders and issues in 397 adults. Each person was given a prescription for CBD for health disorders like pain, cancer pain, mental health symptoms, and neurological symptoms. After three weeks of the CBD treatment, every group of people reported an improvement. One of the most significant areas of improvement was the group suffering from anxiety and depression symptoms. They reported that their pain was lessened and that they were able to complete their daily tasks with more ease. While more peer-reviewed scientific research is needed, this is an exciting area of CBD research that could help to ease your anxiety surrounding the dentist.
Other Tips For A Healthy Mouth
So, what else can you do to promote and maintain your oral health? Here are a couple of crucial things that you should be doing:
- Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco.
- Make sure to brush your teeth twice throughout the day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss once per day to remove pieces of food that your toothbrush can’t reach.
- Don’t ignore teeth or gum pain. Make an emergency dentist appointment if you experience pain or discomfort in your mouth, teeth, or gums.
- Use a mouthwash.
- Visit your dentist every six months. They will check the condition of your mouth, teeth and gums and let you know if you need any treatment. It’s also common for them to professionally clean your teeth and remove any stains. Also, make sure that you communicate any concerns that you may have with your dentist, such as pain or ulcers. They will be able to prescribe the best method of treatment for you.
- If you have a dry mouth because of certain medications, then report this to your doctor.
- Keep your dentures and retainers clean. You can ask your dentist how best to achieve this.
- If you wear braces, make sure that you attend regular checkups. You should also try to keep your brace as free from pieces of food as possible. This may involve brushing your teeth more than twice per day, and you may need to purchase a special toothbrush to target those areas that are hard to reach.
And that completes our article on CBD for oral health and achieving that winning smile! While there’s not enough research into this area of wellness yet to make any firm conclusions, it has shown great potential in a number of areas, such as managing pain, anxiety surrounding the dentist, and preventing inflammation. There are many different ways of adding CBD to your life, so make sure you find one that suits your needs the best. If you value simplicity, then CBD oils and CBD capsules will be a good option for you. However, if you would like to target your teeth specifically, then try CBD infused toothpaste. Remember all of our tips, and you are sure to have a healthier mouth in no time – happy smiling!