Door 11 of the Art of Healthy Living Advent Calendar invites you to get organised (hey, it’s another excuse to buy a notebook!)
Today I want you to spend some time planning your meals for the week and I can guarantee that once you get in the habit of doing this you’ll start to notice a whole heap of benefits.
Planning your meals will:
- Reduce food waste – The amount of food we waste each year is just abysmal and although many of us are aware of it, unfortunately these stats just aren’t getting any lower. By planning ahead and only buying the food you need each week, you can dramatically change and, if you’re really good (and don’t have fussy kids!), even stop the amount of food wastage altogether.
- Make shopping easier – Seriously, plan your meals, write down the ingredients you need, go shopping and stick to the list. This will not only save you time at the shops, but it will also…
- Save you money!
- Make you eat healthier – Spending time to work out what meals you’ll eat in the week ahead gives you the opportunity to make sensible and healthier eating choices. You are far less likely to grab a ready meal out of the fridge if you’ve already planned to have something healthier, like a jacket potato, that day. The simple act of writing something down makes you more accountable and is therefore far more likely to see it happen. Just make sure you don’t plan your meals when you’re hungry, because those BOGOFF biscuits and half price Pringles are going to look far more appealing when you’ve not eaten all afternoon!
- Encourage you to cook from scratch.
- And cooking from scratch is likely to see you…lose weight.
I like to plan my meals for the week on a Sunday evening and I also do an online grocery order at the same time. Once you get into the habit, it will become part of your weekly routine and just makes life that little bit easier.
Remember to check back tomorrow to see what’s behind door 12 of the Art of Healthy Living Advent Calendar.
Missed Day 10? Click here for yesterday’s door.
We’d love to hear what healthy meals you’ve got planned for the week, so please get in touch!
You can comment and follow us on:
Or leave us a friendly comment below ?