The bright sparks among you may well be thinking that doing nothing is impossible and yes if you want to get all smart with us then of course doing nothing is impossible, but let’s not get bogged down with nitty gritty word definitions, let’s instead use Day 22 as an excuse to not do something!
With the kids having been off school for what seems like forever, yet they’re totally doing your head in with the relentless trilling of “How many days is it until Christmas?”, “Can I have some chocolate?” and “Can I watch the Snowman AGAIN?!”, the thought of being able to do nothing really must seem impossible right now, but trust me there are some simple tricks you can do to claim back even just 5 minutes of peace and sanity.
- It’s the Christmas holidays, if they want to watch TV…let them watch TV! And whilst they are, tell them “Mummy has some important Christmas jobs to do” and go and run yourself a bath.
- If your kids are like my two, they LOVE their sleep and they are pretty good at sleeping in a bit longer when they don’t have to get up for school. So, you’ve got 2 choices – 1) Make the most of it and wallow in your bed for as long as you can possibly get away with (some friends of mine recently told me that they lay out a few breakfast things the night before, just in case the kids do get up) or 2.) set your alarm for slightly earlier and get up whilst the rest of the household is fast asleep, so that you can enjoy a cuppa in peace and a read of a good gossip mag.
- Just sit. Easier said than done, I know, especially as all kids seem to come complete with an in built radar to suss out when parents might possibly be free to play with them. If you have to…then go and sit on the toilet. Just remember to lock the door – seriously they’ll find you anywhere!
So you see, nothing isn’t exactly impossible, you just have to get pretty damn smart with it. And believe me it’s worth it, as nothing is better than this for your health.
Remember to check back tomorrow to see what’s behind door 23 of the Art of Healthy Living Advent Calendar.
Missed Day 21? Click here for yesterday’s door.
Did you manage to do nothing at some point today? Get in touch and let us know –
You can comment and follow us on:
- Facebook – @thisishealthyliving)
- Twitter – @ArtHealthLiving
- Instagram – @arthealthyliving
Or leave us a friendly comment below ?